Super Soup Trio
With the Super Bowl just around the corner I wanted to share a trio of super soup recipes that can
|Super Soup Trio|
Black Bean, Yam, & Buffalo Andouille Stew
A healthy, hearty, super tasty combination that is also quick and easy to put together! Now that’s a touch down! (Makes 4 to 6 servings)
1 - tablespoon unsalted butter
1 - tablespoon olive oil
1 - yam (about 3 cups), peeled and diced
1 - teaspoon cumin
½ - teaspoon cardamom
1 - teaspoon chili powder
3 - cups vegetable broth
1 - 10 oz. can chopped tomatoes
½ - pound Wild Idea Buffalo Andouilli Sausage
2 - cans black beans, drained & rinsed
Crumbled Feta cheese
1) In heavy stockpot, heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat.
2) Add chopped onions, yams, and spices, stirring to incorporate, and sauté for 7 minutes.
3) Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and Andouille sausage and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
4) Add black beans, stir to incorporate, and allow to come to full heat.
5) Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with crumbled feta or goat cheese! Yum!
Creamy Buffalo & Mushroom Soup
I am just going to come right out and tell you that this recipe is super delicious! It has an earthy, elegant flavor, and you will love the texture. (Serves 6 or 12 as a first course)
5 - tablespoons butter
10 - ounces Cremini mushrooms, stemmed & chopped (reserve 3)
1 - tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped + 1 small sprig
3 to 5 – garlic cloves, chopped
½ - onion, chopped, about half a cup
3 - cups buffalo or organic beef broth
8 - ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 - pound package Wild Idea Premium Ground Buffalo
1 - teaspoon salt
1 - teaspoon pepper
2 - tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1) In a heavy bottom stockpot over medium high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add chopped mushrooms, rosemary, onions, and garlic and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Add cream cheese cubes and transfer all of the ingredients into a blender.
4) Return pot to the stove over medium high heat and melt another tablespoon of butter. Crumble the ground buffalo in the hot pan breaking up further with a spatula end, stirring continuously until lightly browned. Do not overcook or allow the meat to become hard.
5) Add browned meat to the blender or food processor and puree until smooth. *For a silkier texture I process soup again in my “smoothy”, or smaller blender.
6) Return soup to pot and re-warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
7) Take remaining 3 mushrooms and finely dice, and mince short sprig or head of a rosemary sprig. In a small sauté pan over medium high heat, melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Add mushrooms and sauté until dark brown, adding the rosemary right at the end. Drain onto a paper towel.
8) Add lemon right before serving. To serve, ladle desired portions into bowl and sprinkle with crunchy mushroom bits. Accompany with crusty bread. So good!
Potato, Chorizo, and Spinach Chowder
Wild Idea’s sausage are so flavorful they turn can turn and average recipe into an extraordinary recipe. Simple preparation and it’s packed with flavor! (Makes 6 servings)
1 - pound Wild Idea Buffalo Chorizo
1 - small onion, chopped
1 - pound potatoes, chopped
3 - cups buffalo or organic beef broth
1 - teaspoon each; salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
1 - cup cream
5 - ounces baby spinach, chopped
1) In a stockpot over medium high heat, coarse crumble Chorizo sausage into heated pan. *The fat will release from the sausage shortly, so additional oil is not necessary.
2) Add onions and garlic. Stir in to incorporate and sauté until the meat is browned.
3) Add the chopped potatoes and stir to incorporate. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. *This will help absorb some of the oils form the sausage.
4) Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Increase heat back to medium high and add the cream. Bring to full heat.
6) Add the spinach and stir to incorporate, cooking only about 2 minutes, and shut the heat off.
7) To serve, ladle desired portions into bowls and top with grated cheese. Super good!