This week’s Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the week is Pasta alla Carrettiera with Italian Buffalo Meatballs. Using 1 pound package Wild Idea Italian Buffalo Sausage. Take your Spaghetti and Meatballs to new level with this recipe. It’s from Jill O’Brien of Wild Idea Buffalo. http://wildideabuffalo.com/
Pasta alla Carrettiera with Italian Buffalo Meatballs (serves 4)
This dish is named after the people who drove food and wine carts in Italy. It is a slightly spicy red sauce, with garlic and basil, and is typically served over a thicker style of pasta. My favorite rendition of this dish also had hints of parsley and mint, which made for lingering, memorable flavors. After a little research, and substituting a few of the more difficult to find ingredients with like alternatives, I thought I might be able to come close to duplicating it. The only thing missing was Wild Idea’s artisan, Italian Buffalo Sausage, and I knew just where to go for that. This simple dish is packed with flavor and very easy to prepare. The perfect solution, for a stress free, delicious dinner!
1 – 1 pound package Wild Idea Italian Buffalo Sausage
3 – cloves garlic, about 1 tablespoon
½ – teaspoon chili flake, or pepperoncino (dried Italian chili pepper)
½ – cup basil, finely chopped
2 – tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1 – tablespoon mint, finely chopped
1 – 28 ounce can whole *San Marzano Tomatoes, flash processed, *they’re the best
1 – teaspoon salt
2 – teaspoons sugar
1 – lemon, juiced, about ¼ cup
1 – cup freshly grated, Parmigiano Reggiano, or Porcini cheese
1 – 12 ounce box of Casarecce pasta, Pici pasta, or thick Spaghetti, cooked el dente, reserve 1 cup pasta water
1) Divide Wild Idea Italian Buffalo sausage into 24 pieces and roll into meatballs. Pour one of the tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheet and roll the meatballs in the oil. Cover and set-aside until you are ready to broil.
2) In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the remaining tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic, and
3) Add the basil, parsley, and half of the mint to the pan. Sauté and stir for 1 minute.
4) Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar and lemon juice and stir to incorporate. Bring to a gentle boil, cook for 5 minutes and then add the remaining mint. *Sauce can be made ahead and reheated.
5) During step 4, or right before serving, place the prepped bison meatballs on the second rack from the top of a preheated broiler, and broil the meat balls for about 5 minutes or until nicely browned.
6) Simultaneously bring the reserved pasta water to a boil. Add the prepared pasta, and toss to reheat.
7) Drain pasta, transfer to a bowl and add ½ cup of the grated cheese. Toss to incorporate.
8) Place desired amounts of pasta on to plates and cover with ¾ cup or desired amount of sauce. Serve with the hot Italian Bison meatballs and garnish with remaining grated cheese and additional fresh herbs. Delizioso!