This week's Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the Week is Bison Chuck Roast for Pulled Buffalo BBQ. I've had this several times, and never a bad meal! I've made BBQ Sandwiches with it and served it on a Whole Grain Pita Bread. You can find this recipe and purchase the Wild Idea Bison Chuck Roast all on the Wild Idea Buffalo website. http://wildideabuffalo.com/
Bison Chuck Roast for Pulled Buffalo BBQ
This simple recipe for Pulled Buffalo B.B.Q. using our Bison Chuck Roast will be an instant favorite with family and friends.
1 - 3 lbs. Chuck Roast, twine removed, rinsed & patted dry
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 cup organic Apple Cider, warmed
1) Pre-heat oven to 500*.
2) Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with salt and pepper, in dutch oven or heavy pan. Place roast in pan and roll around in seasoning, rubbing into meat.
3) Place roast in hot oven uncovered and roast for 15 minutes.
4) Add warmed Apple Cider, cover pot tightly and lower temperature to 350*.
5) Braise Buffalo Roast for 2 ½ hours turning once during braising time.
6) Roast is finished cooking when meat is tender. You should be able to pull the meat apart using 2 forks, (continue braising for another ½ hour if this is not achieved).
7) Remove form heat and let roast rest at room temperature, covered for 1 hour, or until you are able to handle.
8) Remove roast from pot and place on cutting board. Reserve pan juices. Using two forks or hands pull meat apart into manageable pieces and then pull apart into smaller pieces or shred.
9) Return meat to 1 cup of pan juices.
10) Add 1 cup B.B.Q. sauce, or desired amount, and stir to incorporate. Bring to full heat, adding in more pan juices or B.B.Q. sauce as desired. Reduce heat to simmer.
Serve as entrée or on buns for sandwiches. Accompany with Firecracker Coleslaw.
Jill’s B.B. Q. Sauce
1 Tb. Olive Oil
1 cup onion, finely diced
1 T. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Coriander
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ cup Bourbon
2.4 lbs. Ketchup
1 T. Dijon Mustard
1 T. Worcestershire
Dash of Liquid Smoke
½ cup organic Apple cider or water
1) In heavy saucepan, over medium high heat, heat oil.
2) Add onion and seasonings and sauté for 7 minutes.
3) Deglaze with: 1/2 cup Bourbon or Brandy
4) Add remaining ingredients, and stir until well to incorporate.
5) Add 1/2 cup juice or water to thin as needed. Bring to a boil.
Pour sauce in sealed container and refrigerate.