Saturday, December 19, 2015

Cubed Steak w/ White Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, and Cut Italian Beans

Dinner Tonight:  Cubed Steak w/ White Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, and Cut Italian Beans




Another cold day out there, also still a strong cold breeze blowing which makes it feel even colder.They say next week though the temps go up to the 50's and 60's all week. Looks as though it will be a Wet Christmas instead of a White one. Had a few errands to run after Breakfast. Those out of the way came back home and did some house cleaning. Then I baked some Sausage Crescent Cheese Balls for snacks late this evening. You can read the separate post for the recipe. For dinner tonight it's a  Cubed Steak w/ White Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, and Cut Italian Beans.




While at Meijer the other day I picked up a couple of packages of the Meijer Beef Cubed Steak. When I go to Meijer I always pick up a package or two. They are the best Cubed Steak I have ever found by far. They’re good size patties so I’m able to cut them in half and get 2 meals out of 1 patty. They come 2 to a package so I froze the other patty. I tried a new flour and spice combination to coat it with. I was watching Food Network last night and this was the coating that they used on their Cuber Steak and looked delicious, so why not give it a try!








For the Cube Steak dredging I'll need; Dried Oregano, Cayenne Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic
Powder, Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and Flour. I'll also need 2% White Milk. The amounts of Spices will vary according to the size and how many Cube Steaks you'll be using. In this case with making 1 Cube Steak I used 1 teaspoon of each Spice combined with 1/4 cup of Flour.  








I first put the flour into a pie pan and added the Spices and mixed with a fork. To prepare it I
seasoned the Cube Steak with Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper. I then dredged it in the Milk, shaking off the excess, and then dredged it in the Spice and Flour mix. I then took a medium size skillet, sprayed it Pam Cooking Spray and added 1/2 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Heated it on medium heat. When the skillet was heated I fried it about 4 minutes per side. It came out golden brown and delicious! Excellent flavor from the Spices and very tender, especially for Cubed Steak which sometimes can be somewhat tough and stringy. I've found another recipe to prepare Cube Steak with! This recipe will work on Cubed Pork Steak also.




For a side dish I heated up some Bob Evan’s Mashed Potatoes, just microwave for 6 minutes total.
Then I also made some Pioneer Peppered White Gravy, that I used to put on the Mashed Potatoes and Cubed Steak. Then for one side dish I heated a can of Allen's Cut Italian Green Beans. To prepare them just empty the can into a small sauce pan and simmer until heated. I love the taste of these, just season with a bit of Sea Salt and it’s ready! I could have Beans every day and never get tired of having them. This turned out to be one Classic Comfort Food Dinner! For dessert later a Devil's Food Chocolate Frosted Cup Cake.






Cube Steak
Cube steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin, tenderized by fierce pounding with a meat tenderizer, or use of an electric tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left
by that process (called “cubing”). Many professional cooks insist that regular tenderizing mallets cause too much mashing to produce a proper cube steak, and insist on either using specialized cube steak machines, or manually applying a set of sharp-pointed rods to pierce the meat in every direction. This is the most common cut of meat used for chicken fried steak.



In Canada as well as in some parts of the United States, cube steak may be called a minute steak, because it can be cooked quickly.
Others distinguish minute steak as:
* simply referring to the cut, which is not necessarily tenderized;
* thinner than cube steak (hence does not need tenderizing);
* cut from sirloin or round, while cube steak cut is from chuck or round.
The term “minute steak” is also used in the United Kingdom, where the term “cube steak” is little known.

No comments:

Post a Comment