Friday, December 11, 2015

Fried Okeechobee Crappie w/ Hash Browns, Cut Green Beans, and Cornbread






Dinner Tonight: Fried Okeechobee Crappie w/ Hash Browns, Cut Green Beans, and Cornbread




Scrambled Eggs and a couple of slices toasted Whole Grain Bread for Breakfast. Had to go to Kroger for a few items after Breakfast. It's one warm December Day out there today. I heard on the morning news it was 55 degrees at 6;00 this morning and that was going to be our low for the next three days. Cloudy but about 60 degrees out. It was warm enough I was able to get the cart out of the shed and ride around for a while this afternoon. For dinner tonight I prepared one of my favorite meals, Lake Okeechobee Crappie! I prepared Fried Okeechobee Crappie w/ Hash Browns, Cut Green Beans, and Cornbread.






I haven't had any Crappie for a while! I used my last bags from the freezer a while back. But
yesterday my Aunt called and said they just got back from Lake Okeechobee and had me some bags of Crappie! Picked them up about an hour later and having a bag of them for dinner tonight. They were frozen so I laid one bag in the fridge overnight to thaw. To start I rinsed the fillets off in cold water and patted dry with a paper towel. I then seasoned them a bit of Sea Salt and then rolled them in Zatarain’s Crispy Southern Fish Fri Breading Mix. Pan fried them in Extra Virgin Olive Oil about 3 minutes per side. As always they came out Golden Brown and delicious! It’s hard to even describe how much I love eating Crappie, especially the Lake Okeechobee Crappie.





To go with the Crappie I prepared some Hash Browns, Potatoes are perfect with Fish. I always use Simply Potatoes Hash Browns. Fried in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and seasoned them with Sea Salt, Ground Pepper, and Parsley. Then I heated up a can of Del Monte Cut Green Beans, Green Beans go well with any meal as far as I’m concerned. Green Beans was my favorite Vegetable growing up even.






 I also baked a small skillet of Martha White Cornbread. Cornbread is something I think I could eat every meal. I like a nice fresh and hot slice with Butter on it. When I make this I just make it by the
instructions on the package but I only use half the ingredients because I use a small cast iron skillet to make it. I use Egg Beaters and Extra Virgin Oil instead of Eggs and Vegetable Oil the recipe calls for. Bake at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes and you have some golden brown piping hot Cornbread! If you use a small cast iron skillet just cut the recipe in half and it comes out just right for the skillet size. For dessert later a Jello Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Mousse.





Zatarain’s Crispy Southern Fish Fri

The secret of authentic Southern style fried fish is the crispy combination of cornmeal, corn flour,
spices and lemon juice captured in this special Zatarain’s Frying Mix.

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories: 60
Calories from Fat: 0
Total Fat: 0g 0%
Saturated Fat: 0g 0%
Cholesterol: 0mg 0%
Sodium: 630mg 26%
Total Carb: 12g 4%
Dietary Fiber: 0 0%
Sugar: 0g
Protein: 1g
Vitamin A: 2%
http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Breadings-and-Fry-Mixes/Crispy-Southern-Fish-Fri.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment