This week's Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the Week is Buffalo Mincemeat Pie. In this recipe you'll be using Wild Idea Buffalo Stew Meat. Surprise everyone with this recipe at your next dinner or party. This recipe and the Wild Idea Buffalo Stew Meat can be found on the Wild Idea Buffalo website. Another classic recipe from Jill O'Brien of Wild Idea Buffalo. http://wildideabuffalo.com/
Buffalo Mincemeat Pie
By: Jill O'Brien
Mincemeat Pie with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
Serves 8 to 12 entrée or 46 Petite Pies (which are great for hors d’oeuvres)
Note: This recipe is a main dish pie. Do not let the length of this recipe detour you. Although there is a little work involved ahead of time, it is fairly easy and is a perfect make a head dish that will fill your house with delicious aromatic aromas. Ground Round could be used in place of the stew.
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. cardamom
2 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. cayenne
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. cloves
1 Tb. olive oil
1 2 lb. pkg. Ready to use Buffalo Stew Meat, rinse & pat dry
1 onion, chopped
1 Tb. garlic, chopped
3 Tb. lemon juice
½ cup raisins
2 apples, peeled & chopped
½ cup bourbon (Buffalo Trace)
1 cup apple cider
1 Tb. molasses
* Mix all dry spices together and set aside.
* Heat oil in heavy stock pot over medium high heat.
* Add stew meat and stir, cook for 3 minutes.
* Add onion and spices, stirring to incorporate. Cook for 5 minutes.
* Add garlic, lemon juice, raisins and apples and stir to incorporate.
* Add bourbon and then cider. Stir to incorporate and bring to a boil.
* Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
* Remove cover and continue to cook until most (but not all) of the liquids are removed.
* Place ingredients into food processor and pulse puree until meat is finely minced.
* Cover & set aside.
Makes, 1 double pie crust. This is a heartier crust that stands up nicely to the mincemeat.
2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1½ sticks butter, cut into small pieces
3 eggs, beaten
1 - Place dry ingredients in a mixer and incorporate.
2 - Add butter pieces at a time.
3 - Add eggs slowly.
4 - Remove dough from mixer onto floured surface and lightly dust.
5 - Divide dough into 2 parts and roll out slightly between floured parchment papers.
6 - Line 8” deep pie pan with rolled pastry, dough should hangover the edge.
7 - Fill with mincemeat, spreading around evenly.
8 - Top with remaining pastry round, pinching top & bottom pastry together, pulling any excess off. Create pie edge with fingers or fork.
9 - With remaining pastry roll out and cut into leave patterns and place on top of pie.
10 - Cut 3 slits into top of pie pastry.
11 - Bake pie in a 375* oven for 1 hour, crust should be golden brown. Or refrigerate and bake at a later time.
Serve pie with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce. Super Delicious!
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
Makes 1 ½ cups
1 cup whole milk or low-fat vanilla yogurt
2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
1 jalapeno, seeded
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cucumber, finely chopped
* Place all ingredients except cucumbers into blender and puree. Fold in cucumbers if desired. Keep refrigerated, but pull ½ hour before serving.
* This sauce is great on many things and keeps for 1 week in refrigerator.