|Banana Pepper - Yellow Wax Peppers|
A mature fruit will be about 2-3 inches (5–8 cm) in length and have a curved shape and yellowish color similar to a banana, giving rise to the fruit's common name. Peperoncini are often erroneously referred to as banana peppers and immature Hungarian wax peppers are frequently mistaken for them. It's not uncommon for Hungarian wax peppers to be sold in bunches of banana peppers providing more heat and less sweetness than would be expected.
The plant requires full sun, like other Capsicum annuum varieties, and should be treated the same as
|Banana Pepper Plant|
Banana peppers are an optimum food for inclusion in weight loss diets, containing low amounts of calories, fat, and sodium. They are also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, potassium and a very good source of vitamin C. The mild heat associated with them makes it ideal for adding to lighter fare such as salads in order to make them feel more filling.
* Pickled banana peppers are commonly sold sliced and used to garnish pizzas, sandwiches and Greek salads.
* Pickled and stuffed banana peppers are common inclusions on Antipasto bars filled with prosciutto and/or cheese.
* Stuffed banana peppers are served warm with a variety of Italian sausage and cheeses.
* Chopped or diced banana peppers are used in many relishes and salsas to add sweetness with other peppers providing heat.
* Banana peppers may be jellied along with other hot green peppers such as jalapeños.