Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Cubed Steak Sandwich w/ New Potatoes

Dinner Tonight: Cubed Steak Sandwich w/ New Potatoes




Just a flat out beautiful Summer's Day out today! Got a whole night's sleep and feel good today, a lot better than yesterday. After Breakfast I ran Mom to Walmart and the bank. Back home did a few things around the house and then got the cart out to enjoy the day! Sunshine and a high in low 70's, incredible weather for August! For dinner tonight I prepared a Cubed Steak Sandwich w/ New Potatoes.






I used my absolute favorite Cubed Steak, Meijer Cubed Steak. When I go to Meijer I always pick up a package or two. The best Cubed Steak I have ever found or had. It’s about the only Beef I ever have, normally I have Buffalo, Fish, Chicken, or Pork. I had these in the freezer so I laid them in the fridge overnight to thaw. They’re good size patties so I was able to cut them in half and get 2 meals out 1 pattie, using the other one for breakfast in the morning. To prepare them I seasoned them with Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper and I then rolled them in flour that I had mixed with a bit of Hungarian Paprika. Shook off the excess flour and pan fried them in Canola Oil, about 4 minutes per side. They came out delicious! Excellent flavor and very tender, especially for Cubed Steak which sometimes can be somewhat tough and stringy. Served it on a Aunt Millie's Whole Grain Hamburger Bun and topped it with some Heinz Mushroom Brown Gravy.




For a side I reheated the Del Monte Whole New Potatoes up. Leftover from last night's meal. For dessert later tonight a Healthy Choice Dark Fudge Swirl Frozen Greek Yogurt.







Cube Steak

Cube steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin, tenderized by fierce pounding with a
meat tenderizer, or use of an electric tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left by that process (called “cubing”). Many professional cooks insist that regular tenderizing mallets cause too much mashing to produce a proper cube steak, and insist on either using specialized cube steak machines, or manually applying a set of sharp-pointed rods to pierce the meat in every direction. This is the most common cut of meat used for chicken fried steak.

In Canada as well as in some parts of the United States, cube steak may be called a minute steak, because it can be cooked quickly.
Others distinguish minute steak as:
* simply referring to the cut, which is not necessarily tenderized;
* thinner than cube steak (hence does not need tenderizing);
* cut from sirloin or round, while cube steak cut is from chuck or round.
The term “minute steak” is also used in the United Kingdom, where the term “cube steak” is little known.

No comments:

Post a Comment