Friday, February 12, 2016

Black Bean Chicken with Rice Recipe w/ Baked Italian Loaf Bread

Dinner Tonight: Black Bean Chicken with Rice Recipe w/ Baked Italian Loaf Bread







I'll start off by wishing my Mom a "Happy Birthday", she turns 88 today! I just hope if I reach that age that I'm able to get around and do things as good as she does. Love you Mom!! I made Breakfast this morning for all of us. I prepared what is quickly becoming our favorite Breakfast dish, Ham and Diced Potato Skillet.









I used Simply Potatoes Diced Steakhouse Potatoes and a package of Meijer Diced Ham. Using a
Cast Iron Skillet I started by frying the Diced Potatoes. After about 9 minutes I then added the Diced
Ham and stirred. In about 14 minutes it was ready! As the Potato/Ham was finishing I grabbed a
small skillet and fried one Egg, Sunnyside Up. To serve made a bed of Potatoes and Ham and topped that with the Sunnyside Egg. Broke the Egg open and it just pulled the entire meal together! One hearty Breakfast and a favorite of Mom and Dad's! After Breakfast I gave Mom her Birthday Presents and Birthday Cake. Afterwards I went to Meijer for a few items, I'm using Meijer more and more. For dinner tonight I tried a new recipe, Black Bean Chicken with Rice Recipe w/ Baked Italian Loaf Bread.






I came across this recipe in an issue of Simply Delicious (Taste of Home). Black Beans, Chicken,
Rice and throw in Corn and Salsa I was sold For the Chicken I used Perdue Perfect Portions Chicken Breasts. I use the Perdue Perfect Portions Chicken Breasts quite often. They come in a package of 5 breasts and 2 types; Italian Seasoned and Plain Breasts. Anyway I grabbed 2 of the Breasts out of the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the fridge. To season the Chicken I'll need 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 3 teaspoons Chili Powder, 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin, 1 teaspoon Pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt. To make the dish I'll need; the Perdue Perfect Portions Chicken Breasts, 1 can Bush's Low Sodium Black Beans, Sliced Black Olives, 1 container of Uncle Ben's  Natural Whole Grain Brown Rice, 1 can Del Monte Summer Crisp Golden Sweet Corn, and Kroger Organic Medium Salsa.




To prepare the dish In a small bowl, mix the seasonings; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. In a
large nonstick skillet coated with Pam Cooking Spray, heat olive oil over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Add the beans, corn and salsa to skillet; cook, covered, 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Remove chicken from pan; cut into slices. Serve with bean mixture and rice. Wow, INCREDIBLE! Another delicious recipe from Taste of Home! Just a fantastic combination of ingredients! Beans, Chicken, Olives, Rice, Corn, and the Salsa just seems to bring it altogether. Another one of those "Keeper Recipes". Plus it's a one pot meal, which I love, and easy cleanup. The original recipe and web link is at the end of the post.




I also baked a loaf of Pillsbury Italian Loaf Bread. For dessert later a bowl of Breyer's Carb Smart Chocolate Ice Cream.








Black Bean Chicken with Rice Recipe

Ingredients
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup salsa
2 cups hot cooked brown rice

Directions
1 - In a small bowl, mix seasonings; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides.
2 - Add beans, corn and salsa to skillet; cook, covered, 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Remove chicken from pan; cut into slices. Serve with bean mixture and rice. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutritional Facts
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup bean mixture and 1/2 cup rice equals 400 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-chicken-with-rice

No comments:

Post a Comment