Friday, August 10, 2012


Today's Menu:   Chicken & Black Beans and Rice w/ Cornbread





Black Beans and Rice! It just sounds like a comfort food. i used my favorite Black Bean and Rice mix, Grandma Maude's. Grandma Maud's is easy to fix and makes one delicious dish. Just boil your water, add your mix, boil and simmer for about 30 minutes and your done. Plus it's only 100 calories and 20 carbs! I've left the full recipe at the end of the post. I added seasoned boiled chicken breast's to dish also. I seasoned the breast's with Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and roasted ground Cumin. I boiled the chicken until done and I also added a packet of Swanson Chicken Flavor Boost as it was boiling. I shredded the chicken and added it to the Black Bean and Rice just as it was getting done. I served it with aside of the leftover Cornbread I had for dinner the other night. For dessert/snack later I'll be having Ruffles Reduced Fat Potato Chips alinong woth reduced fat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip that I made earlier.


Grandma Maud's Black Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

1 Packet of Granma Maud's Black Bean and Rice
1 Tablespoon of Butter
Optional Meat, Ground Hamburger, Chicken, Seafood

Instructions:

1) Bring 3 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of margarine or butterto a boil in a sauce pan.

2) Stir in contents of package. Continue boilingover medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

3) Cover, reduce heat and simmer for an addtional 15 minutes. Stir well and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

* Note * If adding any meat to the dish add it to Rice just as it is done.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size
1
/4 cup (29g) Dry Mix
Servings Per Container about 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g  0%
Saturated Fat 0g  0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg  0%
Sodium 470mg  20%
Total Carbohydrate 20g  7%
Dietary Fiber 4g  16%
Sugars 2g
Protein 5g

No comments:

Post a Comment