Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Beer Battered Fish and Fries

Today's Menu: Beer Battered Fish and Fries



I was at Kroger early this morning trying to find something that sounded good for dinner when I spotted some beautiful looking Haddock Fillets, I found dinner! Beer Battered Fish and Fries. It just sounded right! The recipe for the Beer Batter was based on recipe I found on The Food Network that I tweaked a little. If you like Fish your going to love this recipe! The Beer Batter makes one killer golden crust! I used 2 fillets that I cut up into several small pieces, it made plenty for three people. The Batter makes a delicious tasting crust that fries up golden brown. I used Yuengling Light Lager Beer, 99 calories 8 1/2 carbs, for the Batter. The Fish has a fantastic taste and the Batter encrusts the fillets to keep it moist. If you love Fish as much as I do give this one a try. I left the recipe at the end of the post.

Along with the Fish I baked some Ore Ida Crinkle Fries. For dessert later a bowl of Breyer's Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream topped with some fresh sliced Peaches.




Beer Battered Fish and Chips

Ingredients
Beer Batter:
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer. I used Yuengling Light Lager 99 calories 8 1/2 carbs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Seasoning, recipe follows

1 1/2 pounds Haddock fillets, skinned with bones removed, and fish cut diagonally into 1-inch-wide strips (5 to 6-inches long)


Directions

Spray skillet with Pam Cooking Spray. Preheat Pan on Medium while adding up to 1/2 inch of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Make sure Oil is hot before adding Fish.

Batter:

In a large bowl, pour in 1 bottle of beer. Sift 1 1/2 cups flour into the bowl, whisking in gently until just combined, stir in House Seasoning. Pat fish dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper and coat the fish in the beer batter. Dredge the pieces of fish in 1/2 cup of remaining flour and slide into oil as coated. Fry fish, turning over frequently, until deep golden and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Fry remaining fish in batches, making sure oil remains hot between batches.

Serve fish with French fries.

Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment