Saturday, October 8, 2016

3 Bean Turkey Chili w/ Johnny Cakes

Dinner Tonight: 3 Bean Turkey Chili w/ Johnny Cakes






So to start this Saturday Morning I fried 2 Jennie - O Turkey Breakfast Sausage Links, toasted 2
slices Healthy Life Whole Grain Bread (lightly buttered), and that morning cup of Bigelow Decaf Green Tea. Then right after Breakfast I had to go to Meijer and pick up a couple of items to make my Chili I was planning to make for Dinner tonight. I had went to Kroger up the road but as usual they were out of most everything I needed. Back home got my Chili cooking and  finished up some house cleaning. Then settled in for an afternoon of College Football. For Dinner tonight I prepared some Crock Pot 3 Bean Turkey Chili with a side of Johnny Cakes.





I was ready for some Chili! You can use Jennie - O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast or Wild Idea Ground Buffalo. Either version turns out great! I had none left in the freezer so it was time for a new batch!



To make this I’m using Jennie -O Lean Ground Turkey. The 3 Beans I use are 1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s
Chili 3 Bean Beans (Black Beans), 1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans ( Kidney Beans), 1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Great Northern Beans) drained and rinsed, Then I mix in 1 Red Onion (medium Chopped or Minced), 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Seeded and Chopped), and 3 Cloves Minced Garlic. For my spices I use 1 Packet McCormick Chili Mix, 2 Cans (6 oz.) Hunt’s Tomato Paste (2 cans), 1/2 Tsp Ground Cocoa Chili Blend (McCormick), 1/2 Tsp Ground Chipotle Chili Pepper (McCormick), 2 Tbs. Ground Roasted Cumin (McCormick), 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon (McCormick), 1 Tbs of Cilantro Leaves (McCormick), and 5 Dashes of Frank’s Hot Sauce or to taste (I usually add a lot more dashes!). What’s good about this recipe you can use your own favorite Spices and make your own tweeks to it and it turns out delicious!



I started by opening all 3 cans of Bush Beans into a large bowl and stirred until mixed. I then added the Beans to the 3 Bean Turkey Chili w Johnny Cakes 005Crock Pot. To prepare the Turkey, I start I started by browning the Jennie -O Ground Turkey. Using a large skillet sprayed with Pam Cooking Spray and 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Preheat the skillet on medium heat. When heated I add the Ground Turkey and all the seasonings and Tomato Paste, stirring often. When the Turkey has browned I add from the skillet to the plastic liner lined Crock Pot. Throw in a 1/2 cup of Water and put the lid on the Crock Pot and set on low for 5-6 hours. Then sit back and enjoy the aroma that usually starts after an hour or so of simmering! I love a thick Chili and this one works! The Jennie – O Ground Turkey combined with all those Beans and spices is a perfect match. Served it topped with Shredded Dutch Gouda Cheese and a couple of shakes of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Also a side of Johnny Cakes, recipe below. For dessert/snack later  100 Calorie Mini Bag of Jolly Time Pop Corn.




To prepare the Johnny Cakes (I love these…) all you’ll need is: Pam w/ Olive Oil Non – Stick Spray, 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 3/4 cups Low Fat Buttermilk, and 2 cups Martha White Self Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix. Just mix all your ingredients in a large bowl. Spray your Pam on a Flat Top Griddle or large Skillet and preheat on medium low, I use the Flat Top Griddle. When the Griddle is heated add your batter. You can make the Cakes any size you want from half-dollar size to regular pancake size cakes. After the bottom side turns golden brown flip over and let the other side get golden brown.












3 Bean Turkey Chili
Ingredients
1 lb. package Jennie – O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
2 Cans (6 oz.) Hunt’s Tomato Paste
1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Red Beans)
1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans ( Kidney Beans)
1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Great Northern Beans), drained and rinsed
1 Packet McCormick Chili Mix
1/2 Red Onion (medium), Chopped or Minced
1 Jalapeno Pepper, Unseeded and Chopped
4 Cloves Minced Garlic
1/2 Tsp Ground Cocoa Chili Blend (McCormick)
1/2 Tsp Ground Chipotle Chili Pepper (McCormick)
2 Tbs. Ground Roasted Cumin
2 Tsps Ground Cinnamon
1 Tbs of Cilantro Leaves
5 Dashes of Frank’s Hot Sauce or to taste.
1/2 Cup of Water
Shredded Cheese, I use Grated Dutch Gouda or Sargento Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Topping)
Oyster Crackers
Frank’s Hot Sauce or to taste.

Directions:
*Brown Turkey in large saucepan on medium-high heat 10 min. or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Add all remaining spices and ingredients except 1 can of the tomato paste and water.
*ADD to slow cooker and add in the remaining 1 can of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water.
*COVER with lid. Cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours (or on LOW 5 to 6 hours).

*Serve in bowl or mug with cheese and oyster crackers, A Tablespoon of fat-free sour cream, Chopped Onions, or serve with some home made cornbread.






No comments:

Post a Comment