This week's Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the Week is Dakota Tacos "Indian Tacos". It's made using the delicious Wild Idea Ground Buffalo Meat. Also include are recipes for Fry Bread and a Zesty Sour Cream Dressing. You can find this recipe and purchase the Wild Idea Ground Buffalo Meat all on the Wild Idea Buffalo website! http://wildideabuffalo.com/
My secret ingredient in the preparation of the fry bread, is club soda, which makes the dough and bread lighter. I also use coconut oil, which has a good nutritional profile, and is great for deep frying. Be sure to fry at a high enough heat, 375° to limit oil absorption and to give the edges a nice crispiness. The slightly spicy, seasoned meat balances nicely with the creamy, Zesty Sour Cream Dressing.
1 – pound Wild Idea Ground Buffalo Meat
1 – tablespoon olive oil
2 – teaspoons chili powder
2 – teaspoons cumin
1½ - teaspoons salt
1 – teaspoon black pepper
1 – teaspoon garlic powder
1 – teaspoon oregano
1 – teaspoon smoked paprika
½ - teaspoon coriander
2 – cups lettuce leaves, or chopped lettuce
1 – cup grated cheddar cheese
Zesty Sour Cream Dressing, recipe below
1) Measure all spice ingredients, and set aside.
2) In a sauté pan over medium high heat, heat the olive oil.
3) Add the chopped onion and crumble in the ground buffalo.
4) Sprinkle seasonings over the meat, and stir to incorporate, breaking up the meat into smaller pieces as you stir.
5) Cook until meat is browned, about 7 minutes. Cover, set aside, and re-heat when the fry bread is ready.
6) To assemble, place warm fry bread on plates, and top with the hot seasoned meat, lettuce, and cheese. Drizzle with the Zesty Sour Cream Dressing and enjoy!
Fry Bread *Recipe makes 4 fry bread servings, with 275 calories per each.
2 – cups unbleached organic flour, plus a half cup more for handling and rolling out
¼ - teaspoon salt
½ - cup 2% milk
½ cup club soda
3 – cups coconut oil
1) Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl and sift to incorporate.
2) Add milk and soda and stir in until incorporated. The dough will be slightly sticky.
3) Flour hands and pat dough into a ball, place the dough on a floured surface and divide into 4 equal servings. Using floured hands press portions into a disk shape and roll out into about a six-inch diameter with a floured rolling pin.
4) In a 8 inch diameter saucepan, over medium high heat, heat coconut oil. Oil is at the right temperature when at 375°, or you can test by inserting a wooden spoon into the oil, the oil is ready if it bubbles up around the spoon.
5) Drop fry bread disk into oil carefully, one at a time, cooking about one minute each side or until golden. Place cooked fry breads on a paper bag or paper towels until ready to serve.
*Fry Bread is best served soon after cooking, or while still warm.
Zesty Sour Cream Dressing
¾ - cup sour cream
2 – tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
2 – tablespoons canned, roasted, peeled green chilies with juice, puréed
¼ - teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional or to taste
salt to taste
Preparation: Mix all ingredients together and whisk to incorporate. Store in refrigerator until needed.