Scrambled eggs is a dish made from whites and yolks of eggs (usually chicken eggs) stirred or beaten
|Scrambled eggs with grated cheese.|
Only eggs are necessary to make scrambled eggs, but nearly always salt is used, and very often other ingredients such as water, milk, butter, cream or in some cases creme fraiche or grated cheese may be added. The eggs are cracked into a bowl; with some salt, and the mixture is stirred or whisked. More consistent and far quicker results are obtained if a small amount of thickener such as cornstarch, potato starch or flour is added; this enables much quicker cooking with reduced risk of overcooking, even when less butter is used.
The mixture can be poured into a hot pan containing melted butter or oil, where it starts coagulating. The heat is turned down and the eggs are stirred as they cook. This creates small, soft curds of egg. Unlike pancake or omelette scrambled egg is virtually never browned.
Once the liquid has mostly set, additional ingredients such as ham, herbs, cheese or cream may be folded in over low heat, just until incorporated. The eggs are usually slightly undercooked when removed from heat, since the eggs will continue to set. If any liquid is seeping from the eggs (syneresis), this is a sign of undercooking, overcooking or adding undercooked high-moisture vegetables.
* English style. In English style the scrambled eggs are stirred very thoroughly during cooking to
|Preparation in pans|
* American style - In American style the eggs are scooped in towards the middle of the pan as they set, giving larger curds.
* Scrambled eggs can be made easily sous-vide, which gives the traditional smooth creamy texture and requires only occasionally mixing during cooking.
* Another technique for cooking creamy scrambled eggs is to pipe steam into eggs with butter via a steam wand (as found on an espresso machine).
* Scrambled eggs can also be cooked in a Microwave oven.
Classical haute cuisine preparation calls for serving scrambled eggs in a deep silver dish. They can
|Scrambled eggs with bacon and pancakes|