This week's Soup Special of the Day is - Creamy Buffalo and Mushroom Soup. Made using Wild Idea Premium Ground Buffalo, along with Cremini Mushrooms, Onions, Cream Cheese, and Spices! This one is sure to please. It comes from the Wild Idea Buffalo website. The Wild Idea site is loaded with delicious and healthy recipes and you can purchase any of the Wild Idea Buffalo cuts of meat.
Creamy Buffalo and Mushroom Soup
I am just going to come right out and tell you that this recipe is super delicious! It has an earthy, elegant flavor, and you will love the texture. (Serves 6 or 12 as a first course)
5 - tablespoons butter
10 - ounces Cremini mushrooms, stemmed & chopped (reserve 3)
3 to 5 – garlic cloves, chopped
½ - onion, chopped, about half a cup
3 - cups buffalo or organic beef broth
8 - ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 - pound package Wild Idea Premium Ground Buffalo
1 - teaspoon salt
1 - teaspoon pepper
2 - tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1) In a heavy bottom stockpot over medium high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add chopped mushrooms, rosemary, onions, and garlic and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Add cream cheese cubes and transfer all of the ingredients into a blender.
4) Return pot to the stove over medium high heat and melt another tablespoon of butter. Crumble the ground buffalo in the hot pan breaking up further with a spatula end, stirring continuously until lightly browned. Do not overcook or allow the meat to become hard.
5) Add browned meat to the blender or food processor and puree until smooth. *For a silkier texture I process the soup again in my “smoothy”, or smaller blender.
6) Return soup to pot and re-warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
7) Take remaining 3 mushrooms and finely dice them. Mince one short sprig or head of a rosemary sprig. In a small sauté pan over medium high heat, melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Add mushrooms and sauté until dark brown, adding the rosemary right at the end. Drain onto a paper towel.
8) Add lemon right before serving. To serve, ladle desired portions into bowl and sprinkle with crunchy mushroom bits. Accompany with crusty bread. So good!