This week’s Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the Week – Drunken Kidneys. You’ll be using Wild Idea Buffalo Kidney to prepare the dish along with White Wine to get it to that Drunken Stage! A perfect hors d’oeuvre for your next gathering! You can find this recipe and purchase the Wild Idea Buffalo Kidneys all on the Wild Idea Buffalo website. http://wildideabuffalo.com/
Meat guru, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, inspired this recipe. In his rendition, he states that, “If you don’t like kidney, or you’re not quite sure, this recipe will convert you.” I fell in the “not quite sure category”, but I also believe it’s important to consume the whole animal, so thought I would give it a try. I was quickly converted. It is a delicious dish, and would make a terrific hors d’oeuvre for your next party.
1 – Wild Idea Buffalo Kidney
2 – tablespoons olive oil
1 – teaspoon salt
1 – teaspoon black pepper
1 – cup mushrooms, chopped
2 – tablespoons cider vinegar
¼ – cup red current or plum jelly
1 – cup dry sherry
1 – cup white wine
2 – teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ – teaspoon cayenne, *I added more
1 – tablespoon, Dijon mustard
1 – tablespoon cream or sour cream
fresh parsley & chives, chopped
1) Rinse kidney, pat dry, and cut into pieces. Place kidney in a bowl and cover with the milk. Soak for 2 to 24 hours. Drain the milk from the kidney and pat dry.
2) In a sauté pan over medium high heat, heat oil. Add the kidney and season with the salt and pepper. Sauté until browned, tossing or stirring occasionally.
3) Stir in the mushrooms and sauté for a couple more minutes.
4) Add the cider vinegar and then the jelly. Stir to incorporate.
5) Add the sherry, wine, Worcestershire, cayenne, and Dijon. Stir to incorporate. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 30minutes.
6) Remove lid and stir in cream. Season to taste, garnish with fresh herbs, and serve with toast points