For this week's Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the Week it's a Bloody Mary Steak Salad. Using Wild Idea Buffalo Flank Steaks.
Bloody Mary Steak Salad
By: Jill O'Brien
My mother recently sent me an idea for a Bloody Mary Steak Salad, which looked and sounded delicious. There are many renditions of this concoction, and below is my take on this fun recipe. Adjust seasonings to your liking to create your own or incorporate pickled asparagus and green beans for additional taste and color! This one uses Wild Idea Buffalo Flank Steaks combined with Spicy V-8 Juice, Salt, Brown Sugar, and Paprika. You've got the beginning of one delicious meal! Another good one from Jill O'Brien of Wild Idea Buffalo. You can find this recipe or even purchase the Wild Idea Buffalo Flank Steaks on the Wild Idea Buffalo website. http://wildideabuffalo.com/
Ingredients for Steak: *Serves 4
1 – 6 ounce can spicy V-8 juice *If you don’t like as much spice, use plain V-8.
1 – tablespoon salt
1 – tablespoon brown sugar
2 – teaspoons paprika
Ingredients for Salad:
1 – small red onion, diced
1 – cucumber, partially peeled (I use a alternating striping method) & chopped
3 – stalks celery hearts, chopped
2 – pints cherry, grape or pear tomatoes, halved or, 3 tomatoes, coarse chopped
8 – large pimento stuffed olives, sliced, reserve 2 tablespoons of the olive juice
4 – tablespoons rice vinegar
1 – tablespoon horseradish
2 – teaspoons Worcestershire
1 – slosh hot sauce, or to your liking
½ – teaspoon celery seeds, lightly crushed
¼ – cup olive oil
fresh lime wedges
sea salt & fresh cracked pepper
1) For steak preparation, rinse steaks and pat dry with paper towels. Place steaks on cutting board and remove any exterior fat or sinew (there will be very little of this). Using a fine tined fork, pierce steaks on both sides at an angle. Place steaks and V-8 juice in a large plastic bag or covered glass dish. Marinate steaks at room temperature for two hours, refrigerate and marinate for an additional 22 hours. Remove steaks from juice, shaking off excess, and blot with a paper towel. Mix, salt, brown sugar, and paprika together and rub into bison flank steaks. Cover and let rest at room temperature for two to four hours before grilling.
2) While steaks are resting before cooking, prepare salad ingredients. Place diced red onion and chopped cucumber in a bowl and toss with two tablespoons of the vinegar and a pinch of salt & pepper. Let rest to slightly pickle for a minimum of two hours.
3) Add remaining vegetables to the onion/cucumber mix and toss.
4) Wisk together the remaining vinegar, with olive juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, hot sauce, celery seed, and olive oil. Pour half of the dressing into the vegetables and toss. Reserve remaining dressing for serving.
5) Pre-heat grill to 500°, insuring that grill grates are clean. Oil grill grates with before grilling with high heat oil or grill spray. Place flank steaks over hottest heat and grill for one minute each side, closing grill lid during cooking. Remove steaks from grill, place on a cutting board, and cover allowing to rest for 5 minutes before cutting. This will give you a medium rare outcome.
6) On 4 plates or platter, arrange tomato salad. Slice steaks on the bias and place on the tomatoes. Drizzle with additional dressing and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime, another pinch of sea salt, and a couple grinds of cracked black pepper.
Serve with icy cold vodka with a squeeze of lime and a splash of chilled tonic.