Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Crock Pot Yankee Pot Roast w/ Cornbread

Today’s Menu: Crock Pot Yankee Pot Roast w/ Cornbread








It was a chilly morning here in good ole West Chester, about 42 degrees. I love the Fall and cooler weather though, so it was good to me! Not much sun today though, cloudy and cool all day. Had a light Breakfast and a cup of Bigelow Decaf Green Tea as I got my Crock Pot Yankee Pot Roast and Vegetables prepped and in the Crock Pot. Not much going on today all caught up on everything, did some work on the computer and that was it. Have to be at the hospital in the morning as my best friend is going through a dangerous surgery tomorrow, praying for the best. For dinner tonight it's Crock Pot Yankee Pot Roast and Vegetables.








I purchased a beautiful roast while at Kroger yesterday, an Angus Pot Roast Cut (2.92 lbs.). I love the Kroger Meat Dept. over where I shop. They all know me, from going there so long, And always take care of me. it's a very simple and easy recipe. I especially like using the Crock Pot for meals, the meat is always tender and no mess and easy clean up! There’s nothing but good things you’ll need to prepare this including; the Angus Pot Roast, Sea Salt and Pepper, Small Red Potatoes, quartered ( about 1 pound), 1 medium Onion (diced), 1 large Parsnips, cut into 3/4-inch slices, 2 Bay Leaves, 1 tablespoon Parsley, 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary, 1  teaspoons Dried Thyme, 1 cup Red Cooking Wine, and 1/2 cup Swanson Low Sodium Beef Broth. I added the sliced Mushrooms about 1 hour before the Pot Roast was done. As I said I love using a Crock Pot. I got everything ready this morning and in the Crock Pot and just let it simmer all day, and the aroma throughout the day was just too good.








Everything turned out delicious! Quoting my Mom ” I believe that’s the most tender and best tasting Pot Roast I ever had”. When I get a Mom approval like that I know I’ve done good! She said the same thing last time I prepared this also! The Pot Roast was tender and full of flavor and the Vegetables were the same way, the Red Cooking Wine and Beef Broth just enhanced all the flavors even more. A comfort food classic for sure. There was plenty leftover which will make some delicious pot Roast Sandwiches for lunch or dinner tomorrow! To go with the Pot Roast I baked a small skillet of Martha White Cornbread. Cornbread is something I think I could eat every meal. I like a nice fresh and hot slice with Butter on it. When I make this I just make it by the instructions on the package but I only use half the ingredients because I use a small cast iron skillet to make it. I use Egg Beaters and Extra Virgin Oil instead of Eggs and Vegetable Oil the recipe calls for. Bake at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes and you have some golden brown piping hot Cornbread! If you use a small cast iron skillet just cut the recipe in half and it comes out just right for the skillet size.









Crock Pot Yankee Pot Roast and Vegetables

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs Angus Pot Roast
Sea Salt
Pepper
Small Red Potatoes, quartered ( about 1 pound)
1 Small Bag Mini Carrots
1 medium onion, diced
1 large Parsnips, cut into 3/4-inch slices
2 Bay Leaves
1 tablespoon Parsley
1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
1 cup Red Cooking Wine
1/2 cup Swanson Low Sodium Beef Broth


Directions:

* Season roast with salt and pepper.
* Combine vegetables and seasonings in crock pot.
* Place beef over vegetables, and pour broth and cooking wine over beef.
* Cover; cook on LOW until meat is fork-tender (8 1/2-9 hours).
* Remove beef to serving platter, and arrange vegetables around beef.
* Remove and discard bay leaves.





*Optional
To make gravy, ladle the juices into a 2 cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
Skim off and discard fat.
Measure remaining juices and heat to a boil in small saucepan.
For each cup of juice, mix 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup of cold water until smooth.
Stir mixture into boiling juices, stirring constantly until thickened (about 1 minute).

*Serve with Cornbread or Dinner Rolls


http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-yankee-pot-roast-and-vegetables-134203

No comments:

Post a Comment