This week's Wild Idea Buffalo Recipe of the Week is - BUFFALO-GIRL'S BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE. Besides all the delicious and healthy Buffalo Recipes on the Wild Idea Buffalo website (http://wildideabuffalo.com/) you'll also find Side Dishes and Desserts, like this week's recipe! You can also purchase any of the delicious cuts of Buffalo. I just prepared a Buffalo Flat-Iron Steak for Dinner a few days ago. If you love Buffalo or if you've been wanting to try it check the Wild Idea Buffalo site out. Enjoy and Eat Healthy! http://wildideabuffalo.com/
BUFFALO-GIRL'S BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE
If you love chocolate and you love cake, you'll love this recipe. Dark, dense, moist and lick-your-plate-delicious (if plate licking is allowed in your house). This one's a keeper for the recipe box.
6 - tablespoons salted butter
12 - oz. semi-sweet chocolate
6 - tablespoons cocoa powder
1 - cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup water
½ - cup milk
2 - tablespoons rum
1½ -teaspoon vanilla
5 - eggs
¾ - cup + 2 tablespoons flour
¾ - teaspoon baking powder
¾ - teaspoon baking soda
½ - teaspoon salt
¼ - cup vegetable oil
* Preheat oven to 350°. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and one on the bottom. Place a pan of water on the lowest rack.
* In a saucepan over low heat, add the first seven ingredients and allow them to melt, stirring occasionally.
* Transfer melted ingredients to a mixing bowl. On medium speed, add rum, vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each before adding the other.
* Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed, mixing well to ensure all ingredients are incorporated, stopping and scraping the bottom of the bowl a couple of times.
* Butter two 8” round cake pans with butter and line the bottom with a circle of wax paper. Buttering the top of the wax paper too.
* Divide batter into cake pans. Tap the pan bottom on the counter top a few times to remove any air bubbles. Place the pans in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes.
* Remove cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edge of the cake. Invert onto racks that are lined with a piece of wax paper, tapping the bottom of the pan to release cakes. Allow the cakes to completely cool.
* Frost with Sour Cream Ganache, recipe follows.
Sour Cream Ganache
A perfect not-too -sweet, chocolate frosting with just the right amount of tang!
24 - ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken in bits or use chips
2 - tablespoons butter
16 - ounces sour cream, at room temperature.
1 - teaspoon vanilla
* In double boiler, melt chocolate with butter.
* Place sour cream in a glass bowl and microwave for about 20 seconds.
* Whisk in melt chocolate and stir until well incorporated.
8 Whisk in vanilla.
* Let the ganache rest until it has set up a bit for ease in frosting cakes. *Or, you can pour over cakes if you prefer less frosting.