Thursday, July 30, 2015

Apple of the Week - Envy Apples

This week's Apple of the Week happens to be my favorite new Apple, the Envy Apple. I love Honey
Crisp Apples. I feel like I personally eat at 1 orchard by myself during it's growing season! But the growing season for Honey Crisps is over so now I'm always searching for a fill-in Apple until the Honey Crisps come back into season. I usually go with a Gala Apple but I like a crisp and sweet Apple, Galas aren't quite as hard and crisp as I like.


Well at Meijer last week I was checking to see if maybe they had some Honey Crisp Apples left, which they didn't. So a man was stocking some items in produce and I asked him if they had a Hard, Crisp, and Sweet Apple and he told me of an Apple they had just got in a few days ago. It was the Envy Apple from New Zealand. So he grabbed one and sliced it up for me and I have a replacement for the Honey Crisp! I love these Apples. It's like I like them; hard, crisp, and sweet. It's one delicious Apple. Meijer is the only store I've seen them in so if you're in Meijer and looking for a good Apple give it a try!


Envy Apples

Envy is a trademarked brand of the Scilate apple variety. Scilate is the result of a cross between Royal Gala and Braeburn. It was developed in New Zealand by HortResearch, submitted for a patent in 2008 and patented in 2009.

The Envy apple began getting distributed in North America through the Oppenheimer Group in 2009, and ENZA began small commercial volumes in 2012 in Washington State. In Washington, the fruit surpassed 100,000 cartons for production in 2014. The companies anticipate harvesting 2 million cartons of the fruit by 2020.

Envy apples are being grown under license in New Zealand, Washington (U.S. state) and Chile. Field tests are also being done in the UK, France, and with organic cultivation in Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment