This week's Jennie - O Recipe of the Week is a Chile Rellenos Casserole. Start the Christmas Season of right with this week's recipe, Chile Rellenos Casserole. Made with JENNIE-O® Lean Hot Italian Turkey Sausage along with Cheddar Cheese, Diced Tomatoes, and Green Chilies. Ho, Ho, Ho, Everyone will love this one! You can find this recipe along with all the other delicious and healthy recipes at the Jennie - O website. Enjoy and Make the Switch! http://www.jennieo.com/
Chile Rellenos Casserole
6 Anaheim green chilies
6 ounces JENNIE-O® Lean Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute
¾ cup milk
⅔ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
chopped fresh cilantro
1) Heat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Place chilies on baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat source 10 minutes or until chilies are blackened and blistered, turning frequently. Place blackened chilies in bowl and seal with plastic wrap. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove outer skin.
2) Cook turkey sausage links as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165ºF as measured by a meat thermometer. Cut into bite size pieces.
3) Cut slit in each chili lengthwise down one side. Fill each chili with sausage and cheese. Place cut-side-down in greased 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
4) In large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, flour and salt. Pour egg mixture over chilies. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
5) In small saucepan, combine diced tomatoes and green chilies, cilantro, garlic, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon sauce over chilies. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream.
* Always cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.
RECIPE NUTRITION INFORMATION