Thursday, April 23, 2015

Red Beans and Rice w/ Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage and Cornbread

Dinner Tonight: Red Beans and Rice w/ Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage and Cornbread




Wow, had to turn the heat on this morning it was a bit chilly. I think it was about 32 degrees and still a cold wind all day but sunny. Breakfast, workout, and a shower and out the door. ran an errand for Mom and I was close to a nearby Meijer so I stopped in there to grab a few of their sale items and back home for the day. Day 5 of the "Freezer Meals Week". Tonight I'm using Butterball Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage I had in the freezer and I laid it in the fridge to thaw overnight. Tonight it's Red Beans and Rice w/ Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage and Cornbread.




I started by preparing the Turkey Sausage. I used Butterball Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage. I took one of the Sausages and cut it in to bite size pieces. Using a medium size skillet that I sprayed it with Pam cooking Spray, also added a 1/2 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and heated it on medium. When the skillet was heated up I added the Turkey Sausage pieces. I cooked them about 12 minutes, stirring them frequently. When done removed the skillet from the heat and set aside, I'll be using the same skillet for my Grandma Maud’s Red Beans and Rice.




I prepared some of Grandma Maud’s Red Beans and Rice, first time in a while since I’ve prepared this. Just follow the easy instructions on the package and you have some great Red Beans and Rice! It had a good Cajun Seasoning to it and was only 100 calories and 16 net carbs. As the Red Bean's and Rice was finishing I added the Smoked Turkey Sausage slices, stirring in till well mixed. The Smoked Turkey Sausage paired with Red Beans and Rice is a perfect pairing! Nice heat, Smokey Flavor, and just flat-out delicious! Full instructions and site link for Grandma Maud’s Red Beans and Rice is at the end of the post.




I also made a small Cast iron Skillet of Cornbread. As always I used Martha White Corn Meal Mix, something I think I could eat every meal. I like a nice fresh and hot slice with Butter on it. When I make this I just make it by the instructions on the package but I only use half the ingredients because I use a small cast iron skillet to make it. I use Egg Beaters and Extra Virgin Oil instead of Eggs and Vegetable Oil the recipe calls for. Bake at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes and you have some golden brown piping hot Cornbread! If you use a small cast iron skillet just cut the recipe in half and it comes out just right for the skillet size. What a dinner tonight! For dessert later a bowl of Breyer's Carb Smart Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.




Gramdma Maud’s Bean Meals Red Beans and Rice

Authentic southern Cajun flavors combined with a rich, smoky essence make Grandma Maud’s Red Beans & Rice an easy side dish or complete meal with no added meat or fat.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/4 cup (29 g)
Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 100
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 470mg 20%
Carbohydrates 20.0g 7%
Dietary Fiber 4.0g 16%
Sugars 2.0g
Protein 5.0g

http://www.grandmamauds.com/index.html



Butterball Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage

Smoked Turkey Dinner Sausage
14 oz. | Servings: 7

Try Butterball’s fully cooked Smoked Turkey Dinner Sausage. Now you and your family can enjoy the great taste of hardwood-smoked lean turkey sausage with less fat than pork or beef smoked sausage. Serve with your favorite side dish for a quick and easy meal solution that always tastes
great.


Microwave:
Wrap individual sausages in paper towels and place on a microwave-safe plate.
Microwave on High 3-1/4 minutes (1-1/2 minutes for one).
Let stand 2 minutes before serving.
**Microwave ovens vary. Cooking times are approximate.Always heat thoroughly.Grilling:
Grill at medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently.
Always heat thoroughly.



Skillet:
Cook in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, 10 – 12 minutes, turning frequently.
Always heat thoroughly.
Serving Size 2 oz. (51 g)
Servings Per Container 7


Amount Per Serving
Calories 100
Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6g9%
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 30mg10%
Sodium 610mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 4g1%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Sugars 1g
Protein 8g16%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
Iron 2%
Calcium 2%

Ingredients: Poultry Ingredients (Mechanically Separated Chicken, Mechanically Separated Turkey), Water, Corn Syrup, Salt. Contains 2% or less of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Autolyzed yeast, Dextrose, Modified Food Starch, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Phosphate, Flavorings, Potassium and Sodium Lactate.

No comments:

Post a Comment