Monday, April 6, 2015

Grilled Ham and Cheese w/ Maple Bacon Pecan Roasted Butternut Squash

Dinner Tonight: Grilled Ham and Cheese w/ Maple Bacon Pecan Roasted Butternut Squash




Findlay Market Parade

Well today is a Holiday here in the Cincinnati area! It's Opening Day here in Cincinnati. Opening Day here is like no other Opening Day in Baseball. The day starts off with annual Findlay Market Parade, this is the 96th annual Parade this year. It's the only day where skipping school and calling in sick to work is accepted. As long time Manager of the Reds said "It's a holiday—a baseball holiday! Ain’t no other place in America got that!" — Sparky Anderson. So Play Ball!





It's been partly cloudy all day but it's in the 60's. They are calling for rain later tonight and most of the upcoming week. After a light Breakfast went to Kroger for a few items I needed for tomorrow's dinner, figured I would get it now while it's not raining. Had an mid - afternoon doctors appointment at the Oncologist, just my normal 6 month check-up. For dinner tonight some delicious leftovers; Grilled Ham and Cheese w/ Maple Bacon Pecan Roasted Butternut Squash.







It was leftover Heaven tonight for dinner! I used slices of the Baked Glazed Ham (Cumberland Gap Premium Boneless and Semi-Boneless Hams) that I prepared for yesterday's dinner. I heated up a medium size skillet on medium heat, added a 1/2 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. As that was heating I sliced some off of yesterday's Baked Ham. Along with the Ham I used Klosterman Wheat Bread and Kraft Sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese to make my sandwich with. To make the sandwich I buttered one side of both slices of bread with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and then on the unbuttered sides layered the Ham and then the Cheese. I then grilled the sandwich in my preheated pan. Grilling both sides until golden brown. I love a Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich, but made with this ham it was even better! The Cumberland Gap Premium Boneless and Semi-Boneless Hams are incredible, moist and so flavorful!




For a side dish I reheated the Maple Bacon Pecan Roasted Butternut Squash. I love this dish, it turned me into a huge fan of Butternut Squash. It does take a little time and effort to make this dish but the reward is truly one of my favorite side dishes! To make it I’ll need; 6 pieces of Jennie – O Turkey Bacon, 5 cups peeled and cubed Butternut Squash, 1 cup Pecans, roughly chopped, ¼ cup Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Maple Syrup, 2-3 tablespoons Bacon Fat (rendered from cooking bacon), ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt. I used Turkey Bacon instead of the regular Bacon, Sugar Free Maple Syrup, and added the dash of Nutmeg. Which varies from the other recipes I found, I always try to cut calories and carbs from all recipes. With these ingredients you know how delicious this is going to be! I've the complete recipe at the end of the post, this is one you'll want to try! For dessert later a Jello Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Pudding.






Maple Bacon Pecan Roasted Butternut Squash
Ingredients:
6 pieces of Jennie – O Turkey Bacon
5 cups peeled and cubed Butternut Squash
1 cup Pecans, roughly chopped
¼ cup Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Maple Syrup
2-3 tablespoons Bacon Fat (rendered from cooking bacon)
½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt





Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place strips of bacon on a foil lined baking sheet
Cook bacon for 20 minutes. Bacon should still be slightly soft (not crispy) when you pull it out of the oven. Remove from baking sheet to cool on a paper towel lined plate. Chop bacon into small pieces once cooled. Place the rendered bacon fat in a large bowl.
Add the cubed butternut squash, pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt to the large bowl with the bacon fat.
Mix together to coat the squash well. Add pieces of bacon to the mixture and mix well.
Add mixture to a 9×11 glass baking dish.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
Place dish in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes (depending on size of cubed butternut squash) or until squash is soft.
Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment