Thursday, June 25, 2015

Garth's Taco Pizza

Dinner Tonight: Garth's Taco Pizza




I lost my leg to Melanoma Cancer back in June of 2001, wow 14 years ago! I've always tried to be
careful of falls, and never had one until last night. I was going from one room to the other and I was using my walker when the rubber tip on the bottom of one of the legs came off and threw my balance off. And I came crashing down. I ended up with a knot on the side of my head (with a headache), a cut on the palm of my hand, a cut on my elbow, and a deep cut on my knee. It could have worse though if my head would have hit on the corner of the TV stand. I was a bit shaken for a bit, but okay now. No fun falling!




Still a little sore this afternoon and my ankle is hurting a bit so I took it easy today. Had an Egg Beater's Egg White Cheese Omelet and a couple of slices of Turkey Goetta for Breakfast. Didn't do my full morning workout due to being a bit sore. Rested a lot today and that was about it. For dinner tonight a new recipe, Garth's Taco Pizza.






I saw this recipe prepared by Trisha Yearwood on her Food Network Show Trisha's Southern Kitchen and had to try it! Her husband Garth Brooks is who came up with recipe idea, thus the name, Garth's Taco Pizza. I love Tacos and I love Pizza, so what's not to love by combining them! I'm using Jennie - O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast in place of Ground Beef that the recipe calls for. When making Tacos I always use Turkey over Beef, a much healthier choice. So to make this I'll need the following; One 13.8-ounce can premade pizza crust dough or a pre-formed round crust (Boboli 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Shell) , 1 pound Jennie - O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast, 1 packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning, One 16-ounce can Old El Paso Fat Free Refried Beans, 1/2 cup Picante Sauce, 3/4 cup sliced Green and Black Olives, 8 ounces Sargento Reduced Fat Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Sea Salt, 1 cup finely Diced Hunt's Low Sodium Diced Tomato's, 12 ounces shredded Lettuce (about 1 large head), and 1/4 cup Daisy Light Sour Cream. By using the Jennie - o Extra Lean Ground Turkey, Old El Paso Fat Free Refried Beans, Sargento Reduced Fat Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, and the Daisy Light Sour Cream, 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Shell I reduced the calories, carbs, and fat in the dish. Cut them where you can!




So to prepare the Pizza I preheated the oven to 425 degrees F. Transfer the Pizza Shell on to the Pizza
Hot out of the oven!
Pan. I then browned the Ground Turkey in a medium skillet over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Stirred  in the Taco Seasoning. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mixed together the Refried Beans and Picante Sauce until combined. Spread the mixture onto the Crust. Scatter the Olives over the Crust, then top with the Cheese and the browned Turkey. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. While the Pizza is baking, in a medium bowl toss the Diced Tomatoes, Lettuce and Sour Cream. Once the Pizza is out of the oven, top it with the cool Lettuce mixture. Slice into eight pieces and serve. Garth and Trisha have their self a winning recipe here! Tastes just like Tacos only in a Pizza form, less messy and fantastic flavor. I got me one of those 'Keeper Recipes". You can turn your Taco Night into Pizza Night and your Pizza Night into Taco Night with this recipe! For dessert later a Jello Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Pudding.




Garth's Taco Pizza

Recipe courtesy of Trisha Yearwood
SHOW: Trisha's Southern Kitchen

Yield:6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
One 13.8-ounce can premade pizza crust dough or a pre-formed round crust, such as Papa Murphy's
1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
One 16-ounce can refried beans
1/2 cup picante sauce (see Cook's Note)
3/4 cup sliced green or black olives
8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
Kosher salt
1 cup finely diced tomato (about 1 large or 30 grape tomatoes)
12 ounces shredded lettuce (about 1 large head)
1/4 cup sour cream
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out the pizza dough and fit it onto a 15-inch pizza pan.

Brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the refried beans and picante sauce until combined. Spread the mixture onto the crust. Scatter the olives over the crust, then top with the cheese and the browned beef. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned.

While the crust is baking, lightly salt the tomatoes, then, in a medium bowl, toss them with the lettuce and sour cream. Once the pizza is out of the oven, top it with the cool lettuce mixture. Slice into eight pieces and serve.

Garth likes extra-mild picante sauce. I'd use medium to hot.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/garths-

No comments:

Post a Comment