Friday, July 19, 2013

It's Taco Friday, Black Bean and Ground Turkey Tacos!

Dinner Tonight: It's Taco Friday, Black Bean and Ground Turkey Tacos!





Last day of the heat and humidity for at least a few days they say, at last! We even had a couple of real heavy showers through out the day, which we needed. Me I went to Walmart early this morning but not my usual Walmart I normally go to. I switched Walmarts, the one I normally go to was going down hill fast. The produce department wasn't stocked a lot of times with near expired fruits and vegetables and the other aisles were hardly ever fully stocked. Worse of all was their electric carts, which I need being an amputee. Of late the carts are broke or won't charge, always having to switch carts at least twice on every visit. So I go to a different one now and it's great. Plenty of working carts and everything well stocked! For dinner it's Tacos! I prepared Black Bean and Ground Turkey Tacos.





I used Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey, 99% Fat Free (130/0).  I pan fried it in Canola Oil and I Paso Taco Seasoning. As the Turkey was finishing up I added a can of Bush's Low Sodium Black Beans, before adding them I rinsed them off with cold water in a strainer. I mixed the Turkey and Black Beans in the pan until well mixed and continued cooking until the Turkey was done and the Beans were heated.
seasoned it a bit with Cilantro, Sea Salt, and Smoked Ground Cumin and I used 1 packet of Old El





I usually use Old El Paso Stand Up Taco Shells but while at Walmart I picked up a different one, Ortega Whole Grain Corn Taco Shells. Their a good size Taco Shell with 110 calories and 12 Net carbs per serving (2 Shells). Less calories and carbs than the Old El Paso Taco Shells.





For the Taco fillers I had Green Giant Summer Crisp White and Yellow Kernal Corn, sliced Black Olives, shredded Lettuce, Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican 4 Cheese, and Old El Paso Medium Taco Sauce. To assemble my Taco I first layered the bottom with shredded Lettuce, the Lettuce helps soak up any moisture so the bottom of your Taco doesn’t get soggy. After the Lettuce I layered in my ground Turkey/Black Beans, then Black Olives, Corn, Taco Sauce topped with the Shredded Cheese! Love these Tacos! Making Tacos also gave me the chance to use my new Taco Holders! I had never seen these before I purchased them at Walmart earlier today. Their made of hard plastic and you just sit your Taco Shell in it and it keeps it upright, a lot easier to load up the Taco and keeps it together when your eating iot and you want to sit it down. For dessert/snack later some Ritz Whole Grain Crackers topped with some Philly Reduced Fat Cream Cheese.






 Ortega Whole Grain Taco Shells 10ct
Excellent Source of Fiber and 16 grams of Whole Grains per serving.  Each package contains 10 Taco Shells, total net weight of 4.9 oz.

Product Detail
Ortega Whole Grain Taco Shells are rich with flavor and texture and offer the fiber and complex carbohydrates your body needs.  Our unique recipe combines whole kernel corn with whole grains for a delicious way to nourish and satisfy your body and the entire family.  Plus, only Ortega Taco Shells are carefully placed in a proprietary freshness pack to cushion and protect them from breaking.  Each freshness pack is then vacuum sealed to keep the shells fresh and crisp.  Taste the Difference!

Ingredients
Whole Yellow Kernal Corn, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Corn Bran, Water, Salt, Hydrated Lime.



Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 shells

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 50Calories 110

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 6g 9%
  Saturated Fat 1g 5%
  Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g
  Monounsaturated Fat 1g
  Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 160mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%
  Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
  Sugars 0g
Protein 2g


http://www.ortega.com/products/ortega-whole-grain-taco-shells-10ct_17103

No comments:

Post a Comment