Sunday, May 31, 2015

Mettwurst on Bun w/ Spaetzle with Sage

Dinner Tonight: Mettwurst on Bun w/ Spaetzle with Sage




It's been a very laid back day around the house. Mom and Dad went to Church and then out for a
salad afterwards with friends. I've just been puttering around the house catching up on some minor repairs around the house and some cleaning. Everything is done so I settled back for an afternoon of Nascar and Baseball. For dinner tonight a little German Cuisine flair tonight, Mettwurst on Bun w/ Spaetzle with Sage.





I've been looking for more Bluegrass Lean Bratwurst for quite a while now, another item you can't find in this area no longer. I'm beginning to think that stores want you to eat the fattest version of foods, so they just don't have to carry the leaner and healthier versions of food! I emailed Bluegrass Meats and they replied that the item is carried by all Kroger stores, Which is Wrong! I've checked all local Kroger stores and none do. So anyway I came across bluegrass Lean Mettwurst and thought I would give them a try. I really had not had a Mett in years, a lot of years! So I bought a package at Kroger the other day.




To prepare them I used a medium size skillet and added the Metts. I then added water to the pan, just enough water to cover about a 1/4 of Mett. Turned the heat on medium and covered the pan. I turned the Metts frequently to get a nice even cook on them. When the water had boiled down I cooked them an extra 3 minutes to brown them. They turned out fantastic! Nice and meaty, no Brats but now I've got the Bluegrass Lean Mettwurts! Just wonder when Kroger will stop carrying them! Anyway I served it on a Kroger Lite Wheat Hot Dog Bun and topped it with French's Spicy Brown Mustard.




To go with my Mett I prepared some Maggi Spaetzle (Authentic German Dumplings). I make these
from time to time, really enjoy them. To prepare them I followed the package cooking instructions; brought 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stirred in the Spaetzle; boiled uncovered, for about 27 minutes (until tender). Drained it and set aside. Then melted 2 tablespoons of Blue Bonnet Light Butter over medium heat. Added 2 tablespoons of Dried Rubbed Sage and 1 Clove Minced Garlic. Stirred frequently for another 2 minutes. Added the finished Spaetzle. Reduced the heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Seasoned with Sea Salt and Pepper and served. Comes out so flavorful and Dumplings so tender. Makes one excellent side dish. Very good dinner tonight! For dessert later a bowl of Del Monte No Sugar Added Peach Slices.





Bluegrass Deliciously Lean Mettwurst

* 65% Less Fat
* 42% Fewer Calories
* 25% Less Sodium
*No MSG
* Gluten Free

Deliciously Lean Mettwurst
This Mettwurst is targeted at the consumer that is
into a healthier lifestyle. It is skinless and fully
cooked.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 link (66g)
Servings Per Container 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6g 9%
 Sat. Fat 2g 10%
 Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 30mg 10%
Sodium 590mg 25%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
 Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
 Sugars 2g
Protein 9g

No comments:

Post a Comment