Monday, January 20, 2014

Walnut-Crusted Salmon w/ Cut Green Beans and Applewood Smoked Bacon Mashed Potatoes

Dinner Tonight: Walnut-Crusted Salmon w/ Cut Green Beans and Applewood Smoked Bacon Mashed Potatoes








Beautiful day out and it hit 38 degrees! It melted some of the snow but we have another 2-3 inches on the way for overnight and tomorrow and below 0 and single digit temps coming too. I hadn't been to the store in a while so I took advantage of the beautiful day and started at Walmart for most of my groceries and finished at Kroger for some Atlantic Salmon, they had on sale, and produce. While at Kroger I took the time and went over my receipt, item by item, to compare items. I knew Kroger would be higher but once again I couldn't believe how much higher! I spent a total of $98.32 at Walmart, the same items at Kroger totaled $132. A $34 difference. Add that up over a course of a year and look at the money you save by smart shopping. What kills me is at Kroger you'll see their signs on items "New Low Price". It still amazes me! Well for dinner a new recipe Walnut-Crusted Salmon. I prepared Walnut-Crusted Salmon w/ Cut Green Beans and Applewood Smoked Bacon Mashed Potatoes.








I came across the Walnut-Crusted Salmon recipe from the latest issue of Taste of Home Magazine. Kroger had the Atlantic Salmon on sale so I loaded up on it. I cut the Salmon Fillet down into several smaller pieces, I used some for the recipe and froze the rest. To prepare the Salmon I needed; salmon fillets, Dijon mustard, honey, whole wheat bread (torn into pieces), finely chopped walnuts, canola oil, and dried thyme. Then I preheated the oven to 400°. Placed the Salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Mixed the mustard and honey and brushed it over the salmon. Placed the bread in a food processor and pulsed until coarse crumbs form. Transferred to a small bowl. Stirred in the walnuts, oil and thyme and pressed it onto the salmon. Baked 12 minutes until the topping was lightly browned and the fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. I've left the original recipe along with the web link at the bottom of the post. If your a Salmon lover you have to try this recipe! i love regular Baked Salmon but with the combo of all the ingredients it just makes the Salmon pop with flavor. A keeper recipe for sure! I may have to try this on a Pork Chop sometime, I think it would work well with Pork also.








For one side I heated up my favorite Vegetable Green Beans, I heated up a small can of Del Monte Green Beans. Then I tried a new Idahoan Mashed Potato, Applewood Smoked Bacon Mashed Potatoes. Easy to prepare, using the microwave, and very tasty. It had a nice Smoked Bacon taste to it. I also had a slice of Klosterman Wheat Bread. For dessert/snack later some slices of Cracker Barrel 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese along with Ritz Whole Grain Crackers.








Walnut-Crusted Salmon Recipe


Ingredients
4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
  4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  4 teaspoons honey
  2 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
  3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
  2 teaspoons canola oil
  1/2 teaspoon dried thyme


Directions
Preheat oven to 400°. Place salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Mix mustard and honey; brush over salmon. Place bread in a food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in walnuts, oil and thyme; press onto salmon.
Bake 12-15 minutes or topping is lightly browned and fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.


http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/walnut-crusted-salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment