Thursday, March 1, 2018

Chicken Fried Buffalo Top Sirloin Steak and Gravy w/ Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans

Dinner Tonight: Chicken Fried Buffalo Top Sirloin Steak and Gravy w/ Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans




To start my morning off I had a bowl Cheerios along with a cup of Bigelow Decaf Green Tea. We have some light rain in the morning and some thunderstorms and high wind in the afternoon, a high around 60 degrees. After I had my Cereal I went to McDonald's to pick up Breakfast for my Mom and Dad. Not a lot going on today so I caught up on some shows I had recorded. For Dinner tonight it was Comfort Food! I prepared a Chicken Fried Buffalo Top Sirloin Steak and Gravy w/ Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, and Light Texas Toast.






I was already planning to have a Wild Idea Buffalo Steak this week but a couple of days ago I seen an episode of Pioneer Woman and she had a recipe for Ribeye Chicken Fried Steak. I knew I wanted to try it with my Buffalo Steak. I used a Wild Idea Buffalo 8 oz. Top Sirloin Steak. To make the dish I'll need; Buffalo Top Sirloin Steak, Cracker Meal Mix (made with Wheat Saltine Crackers), Flour, Cayenne Pepper, 2% Milk, Egg Beater's Egg Substitute, and Extra Light Olive Oil (for frying). The original recipe also has a recipe for the Gravy but I'm using a packet of Pioneer Peppered White Gravy. Look at the deep rich red look of the Buffalo Top Sirloin!



To prepare it; I placed the Top Sirloin between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and gently flattened it with
the smooth side of a meat mallet. Removed the top layer of plastic and pound with the tenderizing side of the mallet, turning the meat over to tenderize on both sides. Next I  seasoned it with Morton's Lite Salt and Ground Black Pepper and set it aside.










Next I made the Cracker Meal. I used 10 of the Kroger Brand Wheat Saltine Crackers. Put them in a Hefty Zip Lock Plastic Bag and crushed them up. Then in a shallow dish, stirred together the Cracker Meal, Flour, Cayenne and some Salt. In another shallow dish, whisk together the Milk and Eggs.










I dredged my Top Sirloin in the Flour Mixture, shaking off any excess. Now dip it into the Egg Wash, letting any extra drip off. Returned the Steak to the Flour Mixture and coated it well. Put onto a plate and it it rest.












Finally I heated a 1/4 inch of Olive Oil in a Cast-Iron Skillet over medium heat. When hot, I fried the Steak until golden brown, 2 minutes per side and 3 minutes a side in a 400 degree oven. Drain on paper towels and keep warm until it was ready to serve.











First time Chicken Frying a Buffalo Steak and it turned out delicious! The Cracker Meal gave a great crust while keeping the Steak at Medium Rare! That added touch of the Cayenne Pepper was perfect, added that little taste of heat. Topped it with some Peppered White Gravy, and Gravy makes makes everything better! I love my Steak, but this was one of the best Steak Dinners I've had in quite sometime. Wild Idea Buffalo Steaks are the best bar none! I left the original recipe along with the web link at the end of the post.






For one side I prepared some Bob Evan’s Mashed Potatoes. Just microwave for 6 minutes and serve, just as good as homemade, if not better. I also heated up a can of Del Monte Cut Green Beans and baked a slice of New York Bakery Light Texas Toast. For Dessert later a bowl of Skinny Pop – Pop Corn along with a Diet Peach Snapple to drink.












Wild Idea Buffalo – 8 oz. Top Sirloin Steak

Famous for their flavor, these juicy steaks are perfect for the grill. 8 oz. each.

http://buy.wildideabuffalo.com/collections/a-la-carte/products/8-oz-top-sirloin-steak









Pioneer Woman - Chicken Fried Steak

Ingredients
Steak:
Four 10-ounce boneless rib-eye steaks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cracker meal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
Canola oil, for frying

Gravy:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
3 to 4 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
1 - For the steak: Place a rib-eye between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and gently flatten with the smooth side of a meat mallet. Remove the top layer of plastic and pound with the tenderizing side of the mallet, turning the meat over to tenderize on both sides. Repeat with the remaining steaks. Generously season with salt and pepper and set aside while you set up the breading station.

2 - In a shallow dish, stir together the cracker meal, flour, cayenne and some salt. In another shallow dish, whisk together the milk and eggs.

3 - Dredge a steak in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Now dip it into the egg wash, letting any extra drip off. Return the meat to the flour mixture and coat it well. Put onto a baking sheet while you coat the rest.

4 - When ready to fry, heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, fry the steaks in batches until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.

5 - For the gravy: Put the skillet with the grease back over the heat. When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Add more flour if it looks overly greasy; add a little more grease if it becomes too pasty/clumpy. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a golden brown color, about 5 minutes.

6 - Pour in 3 cups of the milk, whisking constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, whisking, until the gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Be prepared to add more of the remaining milk if it becomes overly thick. Be sure to taste to make sure the gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

7 - Serve the steaks with the gravy.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/chicken-fried-steak-2-3504898

No comments:

Post a Comment