Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Seasoned Haddock w/ Potato Pancakes and Kale With Roasted Peppers and Olives

Today’s Menu: Seasoned Haddock w/ Potato Pancakes and Kale With Roasted Peppers and Olives





For Breakfast I made A Chorizo and Egg Burrito. In a Cast Iron Skillet I cooked the Chorizo and Hash Browns until both were done, removed from the skillet. Then after removing  them from the skillet I Scrambled 1 Egg in the same skillet. As the Egg finished I added back the Chorizo and Hash Brown Mix. Added it all to a Flour Tortilla. Very good way to start the day! Finished up some laundry for Mom and then ran a couple of errands for her. While out I stopped by to check on a friend of mine, he's been going through some rough times but hanging in there! For dinner tonight I made a Seasoned Haddock w/ Potato Pancakes and Kale With Roasted Peppers and Olives.







I purchased the fillet of Haddock at Kroger yesterday. To prepare it I rinsed the fillet in cold water and patted dry with a paper towel. Then sliced the fillet into smaller pieces. I then seasoned it with just a bit of Sea Salt and put the pieces in a Hefty Zip Plastic Bag where I then added Zatarain’s Lemon Pepper Breading Mix. Shook until all the pieces were well coated. Shook off the excess and pan fried them in Canola Oil, frying them about 3 minutes per side until golden brown. Haddock and Zatarain’s Lemon Pepper Mix, the perfect combo. It’s a meaty delicious and mild tasting fish. I think I could eat Seafood everyday!






For one side I made some (Manischewitz) potato Pancakes. Then I also tried a new recipe, Kale With Roasted Peppers and Olives. I always use Manischewitz Potato Pancake Mix, my favorite (Never made a cake I didn’t like!). Just add 2 Egg Beater’s (1/2 Cup), 2 1/4 Cups Water, to the mix stir and fry! Easy and makes one good Potato Pancake and their only 80 calories and 18 carbs per serving (3 Potato Pancakes).








I've read how healthy and good Kale is but just never had given it a chance. Came across this recipe on-line and it sounded good so I thought I would give it a try.To prepare it I'll need; 2 large bunches kale, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced, 1 teaspoon Splenda  Sugar, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 12 Kalamata olives pitted and chopped, 1 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar. I was cooking for just myself so I cut the recipe in half, which turned out perfect. I started by cutting the kale into bite-size pieces, removing any of the tough stems. Rinsed and shook dry. Warmed the oil and garlic in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Remove the garlic as soon as it browns (don't let it burn). Add the kale and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Uncover and add the sugar, salt, olives, and peppers. Cook over medium-high heat until the liquid has evaporated. Spoon into a serving dish; scatter the garlic over the top. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Serve warm or at room temperature. I am now a Kale fan! This was just a flat out delicious side dish. The Kale, Olives and Peppers are a great together. A keeper recipe. For dessert later a bowl of Del Monte No Sugar Added Peach Chunks.          









Kale With Roasted Peppers and Olives

Ingredients
2 large bunches kale, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 12 Kalamata olives pitted and chopped, 1 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar

Directions
Cut the kale into bite-size pieces, removing any tough stems. Rinse and shake dry.
Warm the oil and garlic in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Remove the garlic as soon as it browns (don't let it burn). Add the kale and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Uncover and add the sugar, salt, olives, and peppers. Cook over medium-high heat until the liquid has evaporated.
Spoon into a serving dish; scatter the garlic over the top. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Nutritional Information

Per Serving
Calories 118
Calcium 149 mg
Carbohydrate 15 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Fat 6 g
Fiber 2 g
Iron 2 mg
Protein 4 mg
Sat Fat 1 g
Sodium 534 mg


http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/kale-roasted-peppers-olives#

No comments:

Post a Comment