Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Slow-Cooked Sunday Chicken w/ Whole Grain Bread

Dinner Tonight: Slow-Cooked Sunday Chicken w/ Whole Grain Bread





These beautiful Fall Days are spoiling us! Cool mornings followed by sunny crisp days, it's hard to beat this weather! Unfortunately I did,t get a chance to go out and enjoy much of it as I suffered with a Sinus Headache through most of it. Thank goodness I had already planned for a Crock Pot Dinner tonight. I prepared Slow-Cooked Sunday Chicken w/ Whole Grain Bread.





This is a new recipe, I came across it on a Taste of Home email and thought I would give it a try, and glad I did!. It has Chicken, Carrots, Onion, Celery, Green Beans, Red Potatoes, Turkey Bacon, Milk, and Spices all in a Crock Pot! It was very easy to prepare, just layer in everything and then add your Milk and Water and Spices in your Crock Pot. Put the lid on it and heat on low for 6 - 8 hours, and then we have our complete meal. Chicken served with Green Beans, Carrots, and Red Potatoes. Excellent recipe, everything combines great and seasoned just right! The recipe called for Bone - in Skinless Chicken Breasts but I used Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, all I had in the freezer. Next time I prepare this I would maybe add some Hugarian Paprika, nothing major. Another one of those keeper recipes! Just right for two people or one with a dinner leftover. I also had a couple of slices of Klosterman Whole Grain Wheat Bread, first time I tried this also. They were out of my normal brand so I gave this a try and it works! it was very fresh, same calories and carbs, with a bit of nutty taste to it (and it comes in half loaves). For dessert later a Del Monte No Sugar Added Mango Chunks Cup.



Slow-Cooked Sunday Chicken Recipe

Ingredients
2 small carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
  1/2 medium onion, chopped
  1/2 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
  1 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
  2 small red potatoes, halved
  2 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each), skin removed
  2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
  3/4 cup hot water
  1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  1/4 teaspoon salt
  1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  Pinch pepper


Directions
In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Combine the water, bouillon, salt, thyme, basil and pepper; pour over the top. Do not stir. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender and meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and vegetables. Thicken cooking juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 2 servings.


Nutritional Facts
1 serving equals 304 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 927 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.


http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Slow-Cooked-Sunday-Chicken?pmcode=INIDV04T&_mid=2599860&_rid=2599860.1078329.83880

No comments:

Post a Comment