Monday, January 8, 2018

3 Bean Turkey Chili w/ Johnny Cakes

Dinner Tonight: 3 Bean Turkey Chili w/ Johnny Cakes





For Breakfast on this Monday morning I Poached an Egg and toasted a couple of slices of Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain Bread that I lightly buttered with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter. Also had
my morning cup of Bigelow Decaf Green Tea. It's quite a weather day out there today. When I got up this morning it was snowing. After Breakfast it was sleeting. Then by 11:00 it was freezing rain! So we've had it all today. We had a high of 38 degrees, which is the highest we've had in 3 weeks. They say 40's tomorrow and 50's by Wednesday, hope they have it right! It's a good day to have some Slow Cooker 3 Bean Turkey Chili! So for Dinner tonight its 3 Bean Turkey Chili along with some Johnny Cakes.


I had the 3 Bean Chili in the freezer. So I sat a container of it in the fridge overnight to thaw. The Chili freezes and reheats so easy. I'll have to make some more, it's my last container! To reheat the Chili; I'll use a small sauce pan, spray it with Pam Non Stick Cooking Spray, add the Chili to the pan, and heat slowly on medium low heat until heated through. The Chili is just as good as it was when it was made! To go with the Chili I made some Johnny Cakes. I love the combination of Chili and Cornbread! I've left the original post which gives the ingredients and directions on making the Chili. For Dessert later a Weight Watcher's Divine Triple Chocolate Ice Cream Bar.



When I prepare my Chili I prepare the Ground Turkey and mix the Beans the night before. So the
morning I’m making it everything is ready! I had the Crock Pot set up also. To make the Chili I’m using Jennie -O Lean Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast. The 3 Beans I use are 1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Black Beans), 1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans ( Kidney Beans), 1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Great Northern Beans) drained and rinsed, Then I mix in a 1/2 a Red Onion (medium Chopped or Minced), 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Seeded and Chopped), and 3 Cloves Minced Garlic. For my spices I use 1 Packet McCormick Chili Mix, 2 Cans (6 oz.) Hunt’s Tomato Paste (2 cans), 1/2 Tsp Ground Chipotle Chili Pepper (McCormick), 2 Tbs. Ground Roasted Cumin (McCormick), 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon (McCormick), 1 Tbs of Cilantro Leaves (McCormick), and 5 Dashes of Frank’s Hot Sauce or to taste (I usually add a lot more dashes!). What’s good about this recipe you can use your own favorite Spices and make your own tweaks to it and it turns out delicious.




The first thing I do is get the Crock Pot out and put in a Glad Crock Pot Liner. The Liners are
incredible, just line your Crock Pot with one and spray it with Pam Cooking Spray. Now you are set to go. It makes for one easy clean up, just remove it when done and give the inside of your Crock Pot a quick wipe down and your clean up is done! On with the recipe.








The Beans and Ground Turkey were prepared last night. I started by opening all 3 cans of Bush
Beans into a large bowl and stirred until mixed. Then in the morning, I added the Beans to Crock Pot. To prepare the Turkey, I started by browning the Jennie -O Ground Turkey. Using a large skillet sprayed with Pam Cooking Spray and 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Preheat the skillet on medium heat. When heated I add the Ground Turkey and all the Seasonings and Tomato Paste, stirring often. When the Turkey has browned I put it in a large plastic container and on into the fridge after it had cooled a bit. Then this morning I added everything to the Crock Pot. Throw in a 1/2 cup of Water, stirred twice, and put the lid on the Crock Pot and set on low for 5-6 hours.




Then sit back and enjoy the aroma, that usually starts after an hour or so of simmering! I love a thick Chili and this one works! The Jennie – O Ground Turkey combined with all those Beans and Spices is a perfect match. Served it topped with some Sargento Reduced Fat Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese and a couple of shakes of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Also a side of Johnny Cakes, recipe below.








To prepare the Johnny Cakes (I love these…) all you’ll need is: Pam w/ Olive Oil Non – Stick Spray, 1/4 cup Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil, 1 3/4 cups Low Fat Buttermilk, and 2 cups Martha White Self
Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix. Just mix all your ingredients in a large bowl. Spray your Pam on a Flat Top Griddle or large Skillet and preheat on medium low, I use the Flat Top Griddle. When the Griddle is heated add your batter. You can make the Cakes any size you want from half-dollar size to regular pancake size cakes. After the bottom side turns golden brown flip over and let the other side get golden brown. I love the combimation of Chili and Cornbread!














3 Bean Turkey Chili
Ingredients
1 lb. package Jennie – O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
2 Cans (6 oz.) Hunt’s Tomato Paste
1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Red Beans)
1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans ( Kidney Beans)
1 Can (16 oz.) Bush’s Chili Beans (Great Northern Beans), drained and rinsed
1 Packet McCormick Chili Mix
1/2 Red Onion (medium), Chopped or Minced
1 Jalapeno Pepper, Unseeded and Chopped
4 Cloves Minced Garlic
1/2 Tsp Ground Cocoa Chili Blend (McCormick)
1/2 Tsp Ground Chipotle Chili Pepper (McCormick)
2 Tbs. Ground Roasted Cumin
2 Tsps Ground Cinnamon
1 Tbs of Cilantro Leaves
5 Dashes of Frank’s Hot Sauce or to taste.
1/2 Cup of Water
Shredded Cheese, I use Grated Dutch Gouda or Sargento Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Topping)
Oyster Crackers
Frank’s Hot Sauce or to taste.

Directions:
*Brown Turkey in large saucepan on medium-high heat 10 min. or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Add all remaining spices and ingredients except 1 can of the tomato paste and water.
*ADD to slow cooker and add in the remaining 1 can of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water.
*COVER with lid. Cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours (or on LOW 5 to 6 hours).

*Serve in bowl or mug with cheese and oyster crackers, A Tablespoon of fat-free sour cream, Chopped Onions, or serve with some home made cornbread.







Johnny Cakes (My way)
Ingredients:

Pam w/ Olive Oil Non – Stick Spray1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 3/4 cups Buttermilk
2 cups Martha White Self Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix

Directions:

Just mix all your ingredients in a large bowl.
Spray your Pam on a Flat Griddle or large Skillet and preheat on medium low, I use the Flat Griddle.
When the Griddle is heated add your batter. You can make the Cakes any size you want from half-dollar size to regular pancake size cakes. After the bottom side turns golden brown flip over and let the other side get golden brown. Serve while warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment