Friday, January 19, 2018

Fried Walleye w/ Purple Asparagus and Roasted Butternut Squash.

Dinner Tonight: Fried Walleye w/ Purple Asparagus and Roasted Butternut Squash.






For Breakfast I just had a cup of Bigelow Decaf Green Tea. I need some printer ink and paper, and
had to go to Walmart. I've learned through the years to go to Walmart early if you have to use the electric mobility carts. They have very few and very few that work. So I hit the store early. Outside it was 20 degrees and we had a high of 40 degrees and partly sunny! That is a heat wave from where we've been temperature wise. It melted some of the snow we have on the ground, finally. I stopped by the Bank and then by McDonald's to pick up Breakfast for Mom and Dad. Back home all caught up on everything so I grabbed a long nap, very restless last night. For Dinner tonight I prepared Fried Walleye w/ Purple Asparagus and Roasted Butternut Squash.





While at Meijer yesterday I seen they had Walleye Fillets on sale, and just couldn’t pass them up, I bought 3 Fillets. I rinsed them off in cold water, sliced into smaller pieces, and put them in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge until ready to use today.













To prepare them I seasoned them with McCormick Grinder Sea Salt and Black Pepper Medley. Put the fillets in a Hefty Plastic Bag and added some Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs, sealed the bag and shook till the fillet was well coated. I then fried them in Extra Light Olive Oil on medium heat, about 4 minutes per side till golden brown! I love Walleye, as I do most Fish. Walleye is so meaty and has such a fresh flavor!







I picked up more of the Purple Asparagus at Mejier the Tuesday. It tastes like Green Asparagus but
it’s less fibrous and sweeter due to a higher sugar content. I prepared it the same way as the Roasted Asparagus I’ve made before. I’ll need; 1 bunch of Purple Asparagus (fibrous bases removed), 1 Tablespoon of Crumbled Bacon or Bacon Bits, Ground Garlic Salt, Sea Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper, and 1 tbsp Extra Light Olive Oil. To prepare it is easy; Preheat the oven to 400F. Place asparagus in a baking tray sheet. Add the bacon, garlic salt, salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss to coat. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool a couple of minutes and serve! Comes out tender and that slight sweet taste to it. Really like the Purple Asparagus over the Green Asparagus!




Then for one another side I prepared some Roasted Butternut Squash, easy recipe for some delicious
Butternut Squash! I purchased 1 small package of Diced Butternut Squash at Kroger. They sell packages of it that they dice up. This is a lot easier than peeling and seeding one yourself, especially if you don’t have a good knife to cut it. I’ll need; 1 package of Diced Butternut Squash, Crumbled Bacon Bits, 1 tablespoons Extra Light Olive Oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Grinder Sea Salt, and 1 teaspoon McCormick Grinder Peppercorn Medley.






To prepare it; Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the Squash on a sheet pan and drizzle with the
Olive Oil, Salt, and Peppercorn and toss well. Arrange the squash in one layer and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the Squash is tender, turning once with a spatula. And done, very easy to prepare. With the small amount of Seasoning and Olive Oil, it really brings out the flavor of Butternut Squash! For Dessert/Snack later a bowl of Skinny Pop – Pop Corn with a Coke Zero to drink.







Walleye Nutrition Facts

1 – 6 ounce serving
Calories 148 Calories from fat 17
% Daily Value 1
Total Fat 1.9g 3%
Sat. Fat 0.4g 2%
Cholesterol 137 mg 46%
Sodium 81mg 3%
Total Carbs. 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 30.4g
Calcium 174.9 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment