Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Blackened Turkey on Whole Grain w/ Potato Bacon Chowder


Dinner Tonight: Blackened Turkey on Whole Grain w/ Potato Bacon Chowder



Gorgeous day out today, 79 and sunny! Well while at Kroger early this morning shopping for some
ingredients for the Potato Bacon Chowder I was going to prepare later for dinner I came across a new item, Boar's Head Blackened Turkey. I asked the lady behind the counter if she had tried it and she said they had just put it in the Deli Case very early this morning. So she sliced us both off a piece to try it and it's a winner! You taste the Blackened and there's a nice hint of heat to it. I checked on Boar's Head web site and it's not even listed yet. So I ended getting a 1/3 of a pound for sandwiches. For dinner tonight, Blackened Turkey on Whole Grain w/ Potato Bacon Chowder.



For the Sandwich I used the Boar's Head Blackened Turkey, Hellman's Light Mayo, French's Yellow Mustard, Bibb Lettuce, a slice of Sargento Muenster Cheese, and Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain Bun. You have to try this Boar's Head Blackened Turkey, it's delicious!




Now for the Chowder. The Potato Bacon Chowder came from Mrs. City Boy. I've left the original recipe and her web link at the bottom of the post. Thank you Becky, great recipe! I made mine a bit different than the original recipe. I used Oscar Mayer Low Sodium Turkey Bacon, Green Onions, Del Monte Diced New Potatoes, Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken, Daisy Reduced Fat Sour Cream, 2% White Milk, and Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and Parsley for seasoning. I omitted the cup of chopped Onions and used Green Onions to give it that Onion taste. I'm just not real big on Onions. To prepare it fry the Turkey Bacon, add Green Onions and saute’ 2-3 minutes.  Pour off fat.  Add Diced Potatoes and Water. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until Potatoes are tender.  Stir in Soup and Sour Cream. Gradually add Milk.  Add Salt, Pepper and Parsley. Continue heating for a few minutes to allow flavors to mix. There you have it one nice Chowder! Fantastic flavor and it's got good thickness to it, which I love thick Chowders, Chilies and such. this would a good Clam Chowder also. Thank you again Becky! For dessert/snack later Thin Sliced Kahn's Deluxe Bologna, sliced Cracker Barrel 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese, and a serving of Ritz Whole Grain Crackers.




Potato Bacon Chowder

Ingredients:

8 slices bacon, cut
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups cubed potatoes
1 cup water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1-3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons parsley
Dash pepper
Directions:

Fry bacon, add onion and saute’ 2-3 minutes.  Pour off fat.  Add potatoes and water.
Bring to boil; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.  Stir in soup and sour cream.
Gradually add milk.  Add salt, pepper and parsley.
Continue heating for a few minutes to allow flavors to mix.

Tips:

When I cut my bacon I cut each slice into eighths, but it can be cut bigger or smaller depending on how much you like it dispersed into the soup.

Since I used dried parsley, I used about 1 or 1-1/2 tablespoons rather than the whole 2 the recipe calls for, but again, it’s a matter of taste preference.

http://becky6259.wordpress.com/?s=chowder

No comments:

Post a Comment